An alarm is a necessary function of any smartphone. The problem is the built-in alarm on your device is usually very basic and isn’t always the best. These days there are so many other options to choose from. For example it is widely recommended to be naturally woken up by the light of the sun. To simulate that very thing and help you wake up as nature intended is Gentle Wakeup – Alarm Clock app by Dr. Alexander Rieger. Here is some of the app’s description:
Wake up gently and refreshed every day
Turn your device into a sunrise simulator and wake up naturally by light. Light leads to biological processes in the body leaving the deep sleep phase and preparing for wake up.
***** Basic wake up light functions can be used completely free *****
You will have complete control over the wake up process
Start the sunrise 20 minutes before your desired wake-up time and define your personal brightness level at the end. Add slowly increasing sounds of birds twittering and add a device vibration as a backup 5 min after wake up time. Enjoy a nice weather show before you get out of bed
– Alarm Clock: Fully functional alarm clock with repeated alarms and snooze function.
– Gentle sounds: Wake up with different gentle sounds or your favorite music.
– Brightness adjustment: Brightness ist adjusted smartly to not blend in the night.
– Weather forecast: An animated weather show presents you the weather conditions and temperature for the day.
– Individual Wakeup: Get waked up without disturbing your partner.
– Easy and intuitive: All main functions can be accessed by symbols directly from the main screen.
– Soft torch light: Use the soft light to find something in the nighttime without waking up anyone else.
– Portrait and Landscape: Your device can be placed in portrait or landscape mode on your nightstand.
– Autostart: The app starts automatically even if you close it. No additional battery consumption over night.
– Skip next alarm: Skip a repeating alarm in case you wake up earlier. No risk of forgetting to turn alarm on again.
When you first open the Gentle Wakeup app, there is an option to watch a video. I recommend watching it as it shows you the ins and outs of how the alarm works and can be set. For example, there are multiple settings that can be adjusted for the alarm, including wakeup time, repeating option, and snooze. Light, sound and vibration settings can all be customized to your preference. Set the time and wakeup functions you want in the app and hit save. The next alarm set will be displayed on the sunny main page, with the light beginning to brighten 20 minutes before the time set. When the alarm goes off in the morning, you can snooze it by tapping the sun or turn it completely off by moving the slider to the right.
The main feature behind the Gentle Wakeup Alarm Clock app is to be awaken naturally with increasing brightness of light. This is not a new idea as plenty of similar apps are available for Android. What I do like about this one in particular is the customization features and simple design. Brightness can be adjusted with one tap, sounds and vibration can be added and the setting icons are hidden on the main alarm screen to keep the look clean, with minimal distractions. It also includes weather information for an easy check when getting up and out of bed. I also like that I don’t have to remember to launch the app before bed as it will run in the background and still wake me. The basic alarm features are included free, but some additional options must be added by purchasing the pro version.
Gentle Wakeup – Alarm Clock has perfected the natural wakeup. Only the basic features come for free, but it is a nice way to try it out and if you are looking for more, the Pro Version is always an option. The app is available now for free on the Google Play store.